The IT Pro Podcast: The truth about 5G
We look at the good, the bad and the conspiracy theories surrounding the new technology
For the last few years, vendors and analysts alike have been touting the transformational benefits of 5G, proclaiming that it will unlock new innovations like smart cities and autonomous cars. Here in the present, however, these benefits haven’t quite materialised.
Not only that, but many are now vehemently opposed to 5G, claiming (among other things) that it’s linked to the spread of COVID-19, even going so far as to vandalise cell towers. To get the truth on what 5G actually offers, and when we can expect to see the benefits from it, we spoke to Paul Beastall, director of technology strategy at Cambridge Consultants and advisory board member of trade body UK5G.
Also in this episode, we look at native Windows applications finally coming to Chromebooks, the CIA’s lacklustre security, and the first step towards password-free banking.
- Google and Parallels bring native Windows apps to Chromebooks
- CIA Vault 7 leak blamed on "woefully lax" attitude to cyber security
- NatWest to replace passwords with behavioural biometrics tech
- 4G vs 5G - what's the difference?
- UK 5G speeds are three times slower than in the US
- HPE says the future of 5G is enterprise services
- Are 5G and IoT really a match made in heaven?
- Giving your business an edge
- HPE adds ‘5G as a service’ suite to GreenLake portfolio
- The UK looks to Japan and South Korea for 5G equipment
- What is the 5G health scare?
- Will 5G transform the connected car market?
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
- Register for IT Pro Live
Security analytics for your multi-cloud deployments
IBM Security QRadar SIEM solution briefDownload now
Five reasons to move to the cloud
Join the enterprises moving their workloads to the cloudDownload now
Architecting hybrid IT and edge for digital advantage
Why business leaders should consider a hybrid IT strategyDownload now
Six reasons to accelerate remote asset monitoring with AI
How to optimise resources, increase productivity, and grow profit margins with AIDownload now