The IT Pro Podcast: The secrets of confidential computing
What is confidential computing, and how can it help protect organisations?
We’ve heard a lot about cloud computing, edge computing and various other kinds of computing, but confidential computing is less well known. As an emerging encryption model, it promises to offer greater protection to data as it's being used, supplementing at-rest and in-transit encryption.
Protecting against attacks like memory dumps and malicious root user compromise, the development of confidential computing is being spearheaded by the Confidential Computing Consortium, an open-source industry group working to address the problem. In this week’s episode, we talk to Dr Richard Searle, senior security architect at Fortanix and general member’s representative to the governing board of the consortium, about what the technology aims to do.
In this week’s news, we discuss Apple’s decision to make its own Mac chips and other announcements from its annual WWDC conference, HPE’s new software portfolio, and the case of a disgruntled ex-director who deleted all the files in her former employers’ Dropbox account.
- Apple abandons Intel in favour of custom ARM-based Mac CPUs
- WWDC 2020: Apple unveils macOS Big Sur, iOS 14 and more
- HPE launches Ezmeral software portfolio – but is it just SBS in disguise?
- Businesswoman sentenced for illegally deleting company files
- The future of encryption
- Tech giants assemble to tackle cloud and data security
- What are Meltdown and Spectre and are you affected?
- A complete guide to data encryption
- What is AES encryption?
- Cloud storage: How secure are Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and iCloud?
- BONUS: What to expect from day one of IT Pro Live
- BONUS: What's coming up in day two of IT Pro Live
- BONUS: Security in focus at IT Pro Live day three
- BONUS: Fuelling innovation at IT Pro Live day four
- BONUS: IT Pro Live goes back to the future
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
- Register for IT Pro Live
IT best practices for accelerating the journey to carbon neutrality
Considerations and pragmatic solutions for IT executives driving sustainable ITFree Download
The Total Economic Impact™ of IBM Spectrum Virtualize
Cost savings and business benefits enabled by storage built with IBMSpectrum VirtualizeFree download
Using application migration and modernisation to supercharge business agility and resiliency
Modernisation can propel your digital transformation to the next generationFree Download
The strategic CFO
Why finance transformation propels business valueFree Download