The IT Pro Podcast: Should companies spy on their employees?
Where’s the line between security and surveillance?
More and more employees now use their own personal devices for work, and 2020 saw a particular spike in this behaviour. But what many people don't know is that your employer is legally entitled to monitor your activity on any device that you use to do your job.
This raises a number of thorny issues, such as where the line is between security and surveillance, and whether it's a violation of employee's privacy to keep tabs on what they're doing with their phone or PC. In this week's episode, we speak to Kevin Curran, senior IEEE member and professor of cybersecurity at Ulster University, to get his take on these issues, as well as just how much safety this approach offers.
- How to improve Zoom video chat privacy and security
- Android spyware disguised as 'system update' app discovered
- Achieving BYOD confidence
- What is the 'personalisation of IT'?
- Managing employee security risks during lockdown
- What are employers' responsibilities when we use personal tech to work from home?
- 10 learnings to consider when it comes to enterprise mobility
- 90% of second-hand storage contains personal and business data
- Mark Zuckerberg isn't paranoid - he's sensible about security
- Security professionals need to become wellness experts
- Half of UK businesses had no security policies in place in 2020
- Top security tips for employees working from home
- xkcd: Security
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
ZTNA vs on-premises VPN
How ZTNA wins the network security gameFree Download
The global use of collaboration solutions in hybrid working environments
How companies manage security risksFree Download
How to build a cyber-resilient business ready to innovate and thrive
Outperform your peers in your successful business outcomesFree Download
Accelerating your IT transformation
How Cloudflare is innovating for CIOs to start 2023Watch now