The IT Pro Podcast: Why cool kids code with COBOL
Skills and development isn’t just about cloud - sometimes it’s about keeping legacy systems going too
Skills and training are a crucial element of running any business, but it’s especially critical when it comes to IT. It’s a running battle to just keep up with what’s needed to operate a company’s current tools, let alone developing proficiencies that will allow you to start expanding into new areas.
In this week’s episode, we talk to Brad Mallard, CTO of Fujitsu Global, to find out how one of the world’s largest technology services providers trains and educates its staff. We discuss the e-learning tools that have helped make skills training fun and accessible, the gamification of professional development, up-skilling those already in the business and why learning COBOL gives young engineers a license to print money.
We also discuss the hackers who had a sudden attack of conscience, the latest blow in the video conferencing arms race, and whether or not the current crisis caught network security specialists with their pants down.
Troldesh hackers hang up their boots
- Hackers retire Troldesh ransomware and release 750,000 decryption keys
- Ransomware gangs shift focus to big businesses
- Mirai: Trio confesses to creating the world's most powerful DDoS botnet
- What is ransomware?
Google Meet enters the free video conferencing fray
- Google Meet goes free in bid to counter Zoom
- Zoom quietly corrects misleading claims of over 300 million daily users
- Facebook rolls out video conferencing upgrades to take on Zoom
- WhatsApp tackling group video calling limitations to take on rivals
Network security plans found wanting in coronavirus outbreak
- Almost a third of businesses lacked a network security plan prior to the pandemic
- What is network forensics?
- What is network topology?
- CompTIA launches online testing to ease certification amid coronavirus outbreak
- How to keep your IT team's skills current
- Is a degree still necessary to get ahead in IT?
- Taking the road less travelled to a career in IT
- What should I be looking for when hiring a developer?
- Are autonomous databases the doom of database administrators?
- CompTIA makes certification testing possible in the social distancing era
- Why the mainframe is still going strong
- Professional development trends in IT
- Gamify your business growth
- The IT Pro Podcast: How upskilling can improve diversity
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
ZTNA vs on-premises VPN
How ZTNA wins the network security gameFree Download
The global use of collaboration solutions in hybrid working environments
How companies manage security risksFree Download
How to build a cyber-resilient business ready to innovate and thrive
Outperform your peers in your successful business outcomesFree Download
Accelerating your IT transformation
How Cloudflare is innovating for CIOs to start 2023Watch now