The IT Pro Podcast: Happy birthday GDPR
As GDPR turns two, we look back on its impact and how it’s changed data protection - if at all
This time two years ago, you could barely move without seeing commentators and industry analysts predicting that the then-new GDPR regulations would signal a cataclysmic change in the way businesses were run, forcing fundamental shifts in how tech giants handled personal data and leading to unprecedented fines for data breaches.
Fast forward to the present, however, and GDPR hasn’t been as much of a tectonic shift as some predicted. So, with two years of enforcement now behind it, what kind of impact has the regulation had? Has it succeeded in changing companies’ behaviours? What does a new world of remote working and quarantines mean for compliance?
In this episode, we talk to barrister and data protection expert Dyann Heward-Mills to find out more about how businesses have adapted to the rules, and whether or not they’ve made a lasting impression. Elsewhere, we look at the causes behind the UK’s disappointing 5G infrastructure, HP’s new remote working devices, and Microsoft’s latest bug bonanza.
- UK 5G speeds are three times slower than in the US
- UK government to re-examine Huawei's role in 5G infrastructure
- Microsoft warns users not to install Windows 10's May update
- HP unveils a host of work-from-home hardware
- The IT Pro Podcast: Do we still need offices?
- Seven steps to GDPR compliance
- What is GDPR? Everything you need to know, from requirements to fines
- GDPR certification: What is it, and do you need it?
- GDPR and Brexit: How will one affect the other?
- What is the Data Protection Act 2018?
- GDPR: Where does the fine money go?
- Data protection fines hit £100m during first 18 months of GDPR
- GDPR for small businesses: What it means for you
- Data controllers' responsibilities
- GDPR "inadequate" to protect against contact-tracing privacy risks
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
The state of Salesforce: Future of business
Three articles that look forward into the changing state of Salesforce and the future of businessFree Download
The mighty struggle to migrate SAP to the cloud may be over
A simplified and unified approach to delivering Enterprise Transformation in the cloudFree Download
The business value of the transformative mainframe
Modernising on the mainframeFree Download
The Total Economic Impact™ Of IBM FlashSystem
Cost savings and business benefits enabled by FlashSystemFree Download