The IT Pro Podcast: What happens when you’re the only woman in the room
We find out what it’s really like to join an all-male team
Ask any tech company, and they’ll tell you that diversity is a major priority for them. Nevertheless, when it comes to technical teams, there are still many women who find themselves becoming the first female employee to join a division full of men.
This week, we’re speaking to Cloudera senior solutions engineer Ana Gillan about her experience as the first woman in Europe to join one of the company’s technical teams. We discuss what it’s like to be a trailblazer, the importance of self-confidence, and why ping-pong tables and free beer may actually be hurting your company’s diversity efforts.
- Seven ways to retain your female tech talent
- 10 best free coding boot camps
- How to confidently change careers to IT
- Taking the road less travelled to a career in IT
- What are your tech skills worth?
- How to get into the tech industry
- IT Pro Panel: The truth about talent
- Is remote working killing company culture?
- How do we fix security's toxic culture?
- Why you should prioritise employee experience
- The IT Pro Podcast: Why the tech skills gap doesn’t exist
- Mind over matter: Why work is more than work
- What is Hadoop?
- How to leverage Hadoop in the analytic data pipeline
- Five steps to big data project success
- The 8 best data science boot camps
- How to become a data scientist
- Culture Club: Creating a firm employees love
- Data scientist jobs: Where does the big data talent gap lie?
- Why do you need a good data team?
- IT hiring shows resilience in face of rising unemployment
- What should I be looking for when hiring a developer?
- The softer skills CIOs will need to adopt for the future
- How to become a T-shaped employee
- UK gov backs female entrepreneurs with £50k cash injection
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
The ultimate law enforcement agency guide to going mobile
Best practices for implementing a mobile device programFree download
The business value of Red Hat OpenShift
Platform cost savings, ROI, and the challenges and opportunities of Red Hat OpenShiftFree download
Managing security and risk across the IT supply chain: A practical approach
Best practices for IT supply chain securityFree download
Digital remote monitoring and dispatch services’ impact on edge computing and data centres
Seven trends redefining remote monitoring and field service dispatch service requirementsFree download