IT Pro Podcast: Are chief metaverse officers here to stay?
Metaverse-specific roles could be vital to companies that embrace it, but the technology still has much to prove
Metaverse tech has already attracted billions of pounds in investment, and despite its detractors looks set to play a major role in the future of communications and productivity tech. It was also one of the main themes at this year’s Mobile World Congress, where the concept of a CMO - that’s ‘chief metaverse officer’ - was discussed in detail.
Companies like Journey, Nike, and Telefónica already have individuals with metaverse in their titles, but there is still a lot to be proved about the longevity of these roles. With metaverse tech still lacking definition in the minds of businesses and consumers alike, the impact that this new concept of a CMO will have on the industry as a whole.
In this special episode, IT Pro reviews editor Bobby Hellard presents a report from MWC, covering the definition and responsibilities of a chief metaverse officer, and whether or not the role could have a vital role to play in the C-suite of the future.
“In the near term, it's likely going to be a centralised, single role, but over the long term that will diverge. So for now, maybe it's someone like the head of innovation, someone who's looking on that far technology horizon. Moving forward though, I don't think it's going to be a specific role.”
“The crux of the problem is that not all companies need a chief metaverse officer in the slightest, none. If you are more specialised because immersive technologies or blockchain technologies, maybe to an extent web3, I can understand why you want a C-suite position which is focused in that area.”
“[In 2017] there were people who were labelling themselves as 'chief blockchain officers', and you don't see chief blockchain officers that exist nowadays. So part of me wonders whether this is genuinely a part of a hype cycle, where people adopt that role for now.”
Read the full transcript here.
- MWC 2023: Can AI-embedded 6G 'greenify' next-gen networking?
- MWC 2023: Huawei launches 'world's best' ransomware detection system
- Siemens and Nvidia partner on industrial metaverse concept
- Stop worshipping CEOs – tech is a team sport
- A laptop with a rollable display – who is this for, exactly?
- Into the metaverse: Everything we learned from our virtual tour
- Meta deepens metaverse partnership with Microsoft and Accenture, still lacks compelling business case
- The IT Pro Podcast: How secure is metaverse tech?
- The business of the metaverse
- What is metaverse security?
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Defending against malware attacks starts here
The ultimate guide to building your malware defence strategyFree Download
Datto SMB cyber security for MSPs report
A world of opportunity for MSPsFree Download
The essential guide to preventing ransomware attacks
Vital tips and guidelines to protect your business using ZTNA and SSEFree Download
Medium businesses: Fuelling the UK’s economic engine
A Connected Thinking reportFree Download