The IT Pro Podcast: Will VR ever be mainstream?
Despite years of development, VR is still a niche technology
If you ever need proof that we’re living in the future, just look at virtual reality; a technology that was considered science fiction less than two decades ago is now available to all for a comparatively affordable price. Despite its rapid development, however, it has yet to find its place outside of niche gaming and tech enthusiast communities.
Manufacturers like Lenovo and HTC have tried to bring VR into the business world, but enthusiasm is still seemingly limited. While applications like training, prototyping and collaboration have all shown a degree of usefulness, it appears that VR still lacks a ‘killer app’. In this episode, we look at the development of enterprise virtual reality technology, and whether it’s ever going to crack the big time.
- Virtual reality is dead. Long live VR
- I had a meeting in VR, and it felt like the future
- Lenovo launches new enterprise-focused VR headset
- Should companies use virtual reality to cut costs or boost sales?
- Transforming training with virtual reality
- HTC Vive Pro hands-on review: Ready, player one?
- VR for art's sake: How virtual reality can change the world of culture
- The future tech helping battle the pandemic
- IT Pro Live: How virtual reality will power Workplace 2.0
- Mixed Reality: How to augment your IT
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
- Get in touch with the podcast
The ultimate law enforcement agency guide to going mobile
Best practices for implementing a mobile device programFree download
The business value of Red Hat OpenShift
Platform cost savings, ROI, and the challenges and opportunities of Red Hat OpenShiftFree download
Managing security and risk across the IT supply chain: A practical approach
Best practices for IT supply chain securityFree download
Digital remote monitoring and dispatch services’ impact on edge computing and data centres
Seven trends redefining remote monitoring and field service dispatch service requirementsFree download