The IT Pro Podcast: Building 5G networks with cloud
Cloud and 5G go hand in hand - but can you have one without the other?
As technological innovations go, 5G is possibly one of the most widely-hyped examples of the last decade. Promising to enable everything from smart cities to rural broadband, it’s been hailed as a generational leap forward for connectivity. But what role does cloud have to play in this utopian future?
In this week’s episode of the IT Pro Podcast, we talk to Eric van Vliet. Dell's EMEA head of telecom market development, to find out how cloud platforms are supporting the development and rollout of 5G infrastructure, and how 5G can accelerate the creation of new cloud services.
“When you talk about 5G, a lot of the telcos will talk about non-standalone 5G, which is all about getting that 5G signal to your phone. And then standalone 5G, which means it's actually a complete 5G network with much more 5G capabilities running into their core network. So I think from a geographic perspective, in the Western world, definitely the majority of countries now have that non-standalone 5G, so leveraging all they've done in 4G, but getting a 5g signal, benefiting from better, wider coverage, with more devices.”
“Because of the nature of a mobile network, now, you really have your users disaggregated all over the all over the country, for example, so that service that you're offering to your customer now has to be able to work anywhere, which means that you have to deal with running your clouds - and this is where hybrid cloud really comes in - running your cloud both on a central location where your core applications work, your billing, your support systems, but then the other services, they'll get disaggregated on your cloud into the network.”
- What is 6G and how far are we from rollout?
- UK to phase out 2G and 3G mobile networks by 2033
- What is edge computing?
- Smart Cities: Living in intelligent spaces
- How smart city tech could help us return to ‘normal’
- The IT Pro Podcast: Has COVID killed the smart city dream?
- Digitising Leeds: How to build a smart city
- Why consumer IoT security is now a business problem
- Industrial IoT connections will reach 37 billion by 2025
- The IT Pro Podcast: Can 5G close the digital divide?
- UK street lamps and bus shelters to boost 5G rollout in £4 million trial
- Virgin Media O2 completes gigabit upgrade
- Boris Johnson’s 2025 gigabit broadband vision in tatters, MPs claim
- The IT Pro Podcast: The teenager who started a networking firm
- IT Pro Live: Compute from beyond the data centre
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Four strategies for building a hybrid workplace that works
All indications are that the future of work is hybrid, if it's not here alreadyFree webinar
The digital marketer’s guide to contextual insights and trends
How to use contextual intelligence to uncover new insights and inform strategiesFree Download
Ransomware and Microsoft 365 for business
What you need to know about reducing ransomware riskFree Download
Building a modern strategy for analytics and machine learning success
Turning into business valueFree Download