The IT Pro Podcast: Has the biometric revolution stalled?
Biometric authentication was supposed to change the world - but has it?
For the past decade, we’ve been assured that biometric security is the future, and that soon we’ll be able to do away with traditional forms of identification and authentication in favour of using our faces, fingerprints and even voices.
However, while biometric technology is certainly more common than it was in 2010, the promised revolution hasn’t quite materialised. We still have to rely on PINs and passwords for many of our transactions (both financial and otherwise) and biometric authentication is still largely limited to mobile devices. So what’s next for the technology? In this episode, we talk to Steven Furnell, senior IEEE member and professor of cyber security at the University of Nottingham, about where biometric security is going.
- What are biometrics?
- Only skin deep: The state of biometric security
- Petition urges EU regulators to ban biometric mass surveillance
- Hacked for life: Why you should be terrified by biometric technology
- TikTok settles for $92m after being accused of harvesting biometric data
- Dreaming of a world without passwords
- GitHub now supports security keys in a move away from passwords
- Google’s about to push everyone into two-factor authentication
- The IT Pro Podcast: How hackers steal your password
- If not passwords then what?
- The pros and cons of facial recognition technology
- How can facial recognition be made safer?
- Facial recognition tech used by UK police "breaches privacy"
- The IT Pro Podcast: The psychology of security
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Next-generation time series: Forecasting for the real world, not the ideal world
Solve time series problems with AIFree download
The future of productivity
Driving your business forward with Microsoft Office 365Free download
How to plan for endpoint security against ever-evolving cyber threats
Safeguard your devices, data, and reputationFree download
A quantitative comparison of UPS monitoring and servicing approaches across edge environments
Effective UPS fleet managementFree download