Medibank begins negotiations with hackers who claim to have stolen data in last week’s cyber attack
The company had originally said that no customer data had been taken
The hackers behind last week's attack on Medibank, one of Australia’s largest health insurance providers, has now said it will release a trove of stolen company data unless a ransom is paid.
The Australian firm was the target of a cyber attack last week, although the company said at the time that there was no evidence that customer data had been accessed.
RELATED RESOURCE
Facilitating Fintech
Reducing the risk of potential data interception among fintech solutions
However, Medibank revealed on Wednesday that a group claiming to be the hackers was willing to negotiate over the return of what they claim is stolen data. Medibank said it understands the news will cause concerns for customers and the protection of their data remains its priority.
The Australian healthcare insurance provider said it was working urgently to establish if the claim is true, although based on its ongoing forensic investigation it’s treating the matter seriously. It added that its systems have not been encrypted by ransomware, so usual customer activities can continue.
“I apologise and understand this latest distressing update will concern our customers,” said David Koczkar, Medibank CEO. “We have always said that we will prioritise responding to this matter as transparently as possible. Our team has been working around the clock since we first discovered the unusual activity on our systems, and we will not stop doing that now.”
The company told IT Pro that at this stage it currently wasn’t in a position to name who the unknown group are, as it continues with its investigation. It’s also working with specialised cyber security firms and has advised the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC).
On Monday 17 October, Medibank said it had found no evidence that customer data had been removed from its IT environment, after detecting unusual activity on its IT network on 11 October.
Sign up today and you will receive a free copy of our Future Focus 2025 report - the leading guidance on AI, cybersecurity and other IT challenges as per 700+ senior executives
At the time, the company took the precautionary action to temporarily block and isolate access to parts of its management systems while the activity was investigated. The systems were then restored on new IT infrastructure and normal activity resumed on Friday 14 October.
The company’s investigation indicated that its cyber security systems had detected activity consistent with the precursor to a ransomware event. However, its systems were not encrypted by ransomware during the incident and there was no indication that it was caused by a state-based threat actor.
Australia has experienced a number of high profile cyber attacks over the past two months. At the end of September, Optus, the second-largest telco in the country, was hit by a cyber attack that may have exposed data including customer names, phone numbers, and dates of birth.
Telstra, the country’s biggest telco, also revealed at the start of October that it had suffered a data breach. The company told customers they would have to increase security on their accounts within a month.
Zach Marzouk is a former ITPro, CloudPro, and ChannelPro staff writer, covering topics like security, privacy, worker rights, and startups, primarily in the Asia Pacific and the US regions. Zach joined ITPro in 2017 where he was introduced to the world of B2B technology as a junior staff writer, before he returned to Argentina in 2018, working in communications and as a copywriter. In 2021, he made his way back to ITPro as a staff writer during the pandemic, before joining the world of freelance in 2022.
-
Google CEO Sundar Pichai says vibe coding has made software development ‘exciting again’ — developers might disagreeNews Google CEO Sundar Pichai claims software development has become “exciting again” since the rise of vibe coding, but some devs are still on the fence about using AI to code.
-
15-year-old revealed as key player in Scattered LAPSUS$ HuntersNews 'Rey' says he's trying to leave Scattered LAPSUS$ Hunters and is prepared to cooperate with law enforcement
-
15-year-old revealed as key player in Scattered LAPSUS$ HuntersNews 'Rey' says he's trying to leave Scattered LAPSUS$ Hunters and is prepared to cooperate with law enforcement
-
The Scattered Lapsus$ Hunters group is targeting Zendesk customers – here’s what you need to knowNews The group appears to be infecting support and help-desk personnel with remote access trojans and other forms of malware
-
Impact of Asahi cyber attack laid bare as company confirms 1.5 million customers exposedNews No ransom has been paid, said president and group CEO Atsushi Katsuki, and the company is restoring its systems
-
The US, UK, and Australia just imposed sanctions on a Russian cyber crime group – 'we are exposing their dark networks and going after those responsible'News Media Land offers 'bulletproof' hosting services used for ransomware and DDoS attacks around the world
-
A notorious ransomware group is spreading fake Microsoft Teams ads to snare victimsNews The Rhysida ransomware group is leveraging Trusted Signing from Microsoft to lend plausibility to its activities
-
Volkswagen confirms security ‘incident’ amid ransomware breach claimsNews Volkswagen has confirmed a security "incident" has occurred, but insists no IT systems have been compromised.
-
The number of ransomware groups rockets as new, smaller players emergeNews The good news is that the number of victims remains steady
-
Teens arrested over nursery chain Kido hacknews The ransom attack caused widespread shock when the hackers published children's personal data
