The IT Pro Podcast: Building recession-proof architecture
Serverless, no-code, and low-code can be powerful tools for reducing development time and cost
As we enter what is set to be a long recession, businesses are looking to manage and reduce costs, and IT departments will be forced to budget where possible.
More than ever, IT leaders are evaluating the benefits and drawbacks of serverless architecture, the best payment models for their business, and the risks associated with vendor lock-in amidst uncertain financial conditions.
This week, we spoke to Tom Fairbairn, distinguished engineer at event broker Solace, to explore when serverless and low-code solutions might be right for a business, and how the recession could be an opportunity for meaningful digital transformation.
“Where serverless really, really helps out organisations is getting to market quickly. And whether that's through an entire application suite or adopting, coming to a new use case bringing in some new kind of digital transformation.”
“If you look at the serverless space, it's a mistake to think of serverless as a kind of low code. Actually, in terms of development serverless is pretty tricky. You know, developing for serverless is actually probably harder than developing on your own machine. It's difficult to debug, it's difficult to understand the performance implications. You know, the cloud vendors do a great job of providing that information.”
“Perhaps the recession is an excellent opportunity for companies to really focus on what digital transformation is and what it can do for the business. So one of the problems with any, you know, initiative is that it's going to cost money to do. Digital transformation is going to cost money to do. Now what it can do, is it can unlock value in your customers and suppliers, and it can produce operational efficiencies.”
- What is serverless architecture?
- Low-code vs no-code: What’s the difference and how can these tools change your business?
- Why low-code and no-code can be a route through recession
- What is agile development?
- UK's digital skills shortage reaches "all-time high"
- Tech skills in the UK lag behind most of Europe
- Report: One in four UK businesses hiring overseas to tackle talent shortage
- Cost of living crisis driving salary concerns for C-suites
- Datadog's 2022 Container Report Finds Organizations Expanding Container Adoption With Improved Ability To Scale And Manage Complex Environments
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
2023 Strategic roadmap for data security platform convergence
Capitalise on your data and share it securely using consolidated platformsFree Download
The 3D trends report
Presenting one of the most exciting frontiers in visual cultureFree Download
The Total Economic Impact™ of IBM Cloud Pak® for Watson AIOps with Instana
Cost savings and business benefitsFree Download
Leverage automated APM to accelerate CI/CD and boost application performance
Constant change to meet fast-evolving application functionalityFree Download