IT Pro is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Yahoo reworks Bing deal to keep hand in search

Bing there, done that, got the ad revenue: Marissa Mayer wants Yahoo to take back its search functionality

contract

Yahoo is breaking up its exclusive partnership to outsource search to Microsoft, in a bid to re-engage with the technology.

CEO Marissa Mayer has rewritten the terms of her firm's contract with Redmond, which for the last five years has seen all Yahoo search queries carried out by Microsoft's Bing engine, with Yahoo taking the bulk of ad revenue in return.

But now Yahoo can do what it likes with 49 per cent of its search enquiries, with Microsoft still carrying out the remaining 51 per cent.

Satya Nadella's company benefits too, by becoming the single advertising partner for all search results provided to Yahoo by Bing.

Mayer said: "Over the past few months, Satya and I have worked closely together to establish a revised search agreement that allows us to enhance our user experience and innovate more in our search business.

"This renewed agreement opens up significant opportunities in our partnership that I'm very excited to explore."

Yahoo will be able to tweak the search experience it provides on any platform, as the revamped partnership, covering desktop and mobile search, is non-exclusive.

That means the tech giant could send some search enquiries out to Google, but Yahoo might want to redevelop its own expertise in the field, too.

It marks a huge change from the previous shape of the partnership with Microsoft, signed by ex-Redmond boss Steve Ballmer and former Yahoo chief Carol Bartz in 2009.

The deal saw Microsoft pay Yahoo 88 per cent of the ad revenue it made from ads displayed alongside the Bing results Yahoo would present users with.

The original agreement would have seen this rise to 90 per cent for the remaining five years of the deal, but Mayer has chosen to take a different tack presumably to keep Yahoo's hand in the search business.

However, Microsoft doesn't seem too unhappy with the reworked agreement.

Nadella said in a statement: "Our global partnership with Yahoo has benefited our shared customers over the past five years and I look forward to building on what we've already accomplished together.

"Our partnership with Yahoo is one example of the diverse partnerships we'll continue to cultivate in order to have the greatest impact for our customers."

Featured Resources

The COO's pocket guide to enterprise-wide intelligent automation

Automating more cross-enterprise and expert work for a better value stream for customers

Free Download

Introducing IBM Security QRadar XDR

A comprehensive open solution in a crowded and confusing space

Free Download

2021 Gartner critical capabilities for data integration tools

How to identify the right tool in support of your data management solutions

Free Download

Unified endpoint management solutions 2021-22

Analysing the UEM landscape

Free Download

Recommended

Elastic expands cloud collaboration with AWS
Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Elastic expands cloud collaboration with AWS

20 May 2022
Yext unveils new AI search solutions
search engine optimization (SEO)

Yext unveils new AI search solutions

15 Nov 2021
The worst hacks of all time
hacking

The worst hacks of all time

30 Sep 2021
Nextech AR secures early access to Google’s 3D AR Search Program
augmented reality (AR)

Nextech AR secures early access to Google’s 3D AR Search Program

24 Aug 2021

Most Popular

Samsung proposes 11 Texas semiconductor plants worth $191 billion
Hardware

Samsung proposes 11 Texas semiconductor plants worth $191 billion

21 Jul 2022
How to boot Windows 11 in Safe Mode
Microsoft Windows

How to boot Windows 11 in Safe Mode

29 Jul 2022
Should you take your password manager off the internet?
Sponsored

Should you take your password manager off the internet?

28 Jul 2022