The IT Pro Podcast: Can AI and IT teams coexist?
It may seem like a match made in heaven, but the two functions often wind up butting heads
AI is increasingly working its way into organisations’ main IT environments, and as a cutting-edge field that relies heavily on technology infrastructure to run effectively, you might assume that IT would be enthusiastic supporters - but this isn’t always the case.
In fact, far from being bosom buddies, in many instances IT and AI practitioners can find themselves locked in turf wars and disputes over support and resourcing. In this episode of the IT Pro Podcast, we sit down with Nvidia’s director of technical product marketing Luke Wignall, to discuss some of the root causes of these conflicts, and how the two groups can learn to play nicely together.
“Keep in mind that historically, large data analytics things have happened in clusters that have existed more in the corner of the data centre, and tended to operate around special budgets, special teams, whatever. And now we're seeing this democratisation of AI and data science, which means it's coming over into the core data centre, which is a very different IT team.”
“I had a senior IT person at an automotive manufacturer tell me, ‘when I saw this meeting on my calendar this morning, I had no idea I would leave this meeting excited about core data centre 2U servers again’. Like, it's just not something they think about. Right? That's a decision that was made, I don't know how long ago, and so it's it's an awakening that's occurring even at the leadership level. And then they wouldn't be interested in something as fundamental as that core server building block, if it weren't for the fact that the rest of this is an awakening for them as well. They see the value, they hear the value, they witness it. And so they know the importance.”
“At Nvidia, there's a team that combines both IT infrastructure and AI. And, in fact, the reason we've merged these two teams was to try to solve some of these problems. And early on, one of the metrics that came out of that team was, from ideation through to a functioning solution… 70% of the of the total project time was spent in exchanging helpdesk tickets to get the right sized workbench for that AI practitioner to work on.”
Read the full transcript here.
- What is machine learning and why is it important?
- Machine learning vs AI vs NLP: What's the difference?
- What are the pros and cons of AI?
- Is artificial intelligence safe?
- Inside the quest to create human AI
- AI is now powerful enough to automate the back office
- Mainland Europe now outpacing UK in AI adoption
- Using AI and machine learning to kickstart climate change fightback
- Intel rolls out Open Source AI Reference Kits for enterprises
- Government to boost AI data mining research in copyright law change
- Building an AI superpower: Does the UK stand a chance?
- Four business benefits of AI-powered analytics
- Jaguar Land Rover to adopt Nvidia AI tech by 2025
- HPE and Nvidia unveil 'Champollion' AI supercomputer
- Nvidia announces Arm-based Grace CPU "Superchip"
- Nvidia accelerates Australia’s AI roadmap with CSIRO partnership
- Covision Quality joins NVIDIA Metropolis Partner Program
- Meta teams with Nvidia to build the 'world's fastest' AI supercomputer
- Nvidia pauses hiring to help cope with inflation
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
IT best practices for accelerating the journey to carbon neutrality
Considerations and pragmatic solutions for IT executives driving sustainable ITFree Download
The Total Economic Impact™ of IBM Spectrum Virtualize
Cost savings and business benefits enabled by storage built with IBMSpectrum VirtualizeFree download
Using application migration and modernisation to supercharge business agility and resiliency
Modernisation can propel your digital transformation to the next generationFree Download
The strategic CFO
Why finance transformation propels business valueFree Download