The IT Pro Podcast: How laptop libraries can boost digital skills
Young people need access to devices if they’re to develop crucial digital skills
In the modern world, digital skills are absolutely essential, but if you don’t have access to technology, developing those skills is easier said than done. We’ve covered the UK’s growing digital divide in previous episodes, but this week, we’re looking at how one MSP is partnering with London-based charity CC Foundation to help close this gap by providing young people with access to digital devices, mentoring and apprenticeship opportunities.
This week, Totality Services co-founder Luis Navarro talks to us about his work with the charity, why he’s so passionate about the role of young people in the modern IT industry, and how organisations can help open the eyes of more kids to the possibilities of a career in tech.
“I was contacted by Fekky a few months ago, and he was telling me all about the foundation, all the good work that they're doing. And he actually mentioned a survey that took place a number of months ago, too. It was a survey of 13,000 London based kids, and the key findings were quite striking. It basically showed that 84% of kids in London do not have a laptop or access to a laptop, and over 50% of the kids do not have access to internet. Given our background as Totality Services and where we've come from as a business, it all ties in very nicely.”
“There's a guy who works for us, Shane, I mean, he started with us four or five years ago as a 16-year-old, on a very basic salary. Fast forward a couple of years: he's our most senior project engineer. He's only 22 years old. A part of this project for me is giving these kids exposure to people like Shane, who can explain their journey and say, look, I started with very few GCSEs. I didn't go to college, I didn't go to university. But look, do you know what? Totality took me under their wing. They showed me the ropes. And now I've really progressed.”
Read the full transcript here.
- Education is needed to end apprenticeship stigma, says BCS
- Microsoft's Apprenticeship Connector will help SMBs find digital apprentices
- Is a degree still necessary to get ahead in IT?
- UK digital divide is "narrowing" as a result of the pandemic
- TechUK urges government to level digital divide
- The IT Pro Podcast: Can 5G close the digital divide?
- Can private companies help solve the COVID laptop crisis?
- The IT Pro Podcast: The teenager who started a networking firm
- Lockdown Laptop Map lists close to 1,000 schools in need of tech supplies
- Charity sector hamstrung by lack of tech support
- UK gov "hasn't invested a single pound" to adults below the digital divide
- 17.1 million Brits lack essential digital skills for work
- UK gov's digital skills failure costing £6bn in lost GDP per year
- UK gov pledges post-pandemic digital skills boost
- UK's growing skills gap could stall COVID recovery
- Three-quarters of over-45s keen to invest in digital skills
- Out of office - on forever: Meet the companies leaving the office for good
- The IT Pro Podcast: There’s no such thing as obsolete tech
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
IT best practices for accelerating the journey to carbon neutrality
Considerations and pragmatic solutions for IT executives driving sustainable ITFree Download
The Total Economic Impact™ of IBM Spectrum Virtualize
Cost savings and business benefits enabled by storage built with IBMSpectrum VirtualizeFree download
Using application migration and modernisation to supercharge business agility and resiliency
Modernisation can propel your digital transformation to the next generationFree Download
The strategic CFO
Why finance transformation propels business valueFree Download