The IT Pro Podcast: Soft skills vs STEM skills
The UK’s level of ‘soft skills’ is dropping - so what can we do about it?
For many years, the tech industry has been complaining about a shortage of technical skills in areas from cloud platforms to container architectures. But while the tech skills gap remains a persistent concern, there is another skills shortage that's being overlooked by businesses.
The UK is falling behind in its level of 'human-centric' business skills, according to a new report, including HR and communications. As organisations seek to outfit themselves for a largely uncharted world of hybrid working, we're joined by Anthony Tattersall, head of EMEA at online training provider Coursera, to examine whether we're in danger of putting too much focus on STEM skills, and how companies can avoid over-correcting.
- Female enrolment in STEM courses increased to 46% in 2020
- Remote workers spend more hours on the job, finds ONS
- IT Pro Panel: The loneliness of the long-distance worker
- Learn to code online with these six websites
- IT Pro Panel: Why CIOs have embraced hybrid working
- The softer skills CIOs will need to adopt for the future
- What are your tech skills worth?
- CIO hiring process to focus on emotional intelligence in 2021
- Why IT projects fail and how to make yours a success
- Game on: How playing video games could level up your career
- How to become a T-shaped employee
- The STEM skills gap — crisis averted?
- How do I best support my remote workers?
- Why COVID-19 could spur a learning revolution
- Onboarding during the pandemic and beyond
- Why the number of students taking GCSE IT has fallen and how it can be reversed
- How to become a data scientist
- Why you should prioritise employee experience
- 17.1 million Brits lack essential digital skills for work
- Government launches 400 free qualifications to help with economic recovery
- Upskilling a remote workforce
- The IT Pro Podcast: Why the tech skills gap doesn't exist
- The best time to prepare for remote working was six months ago
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
The ultimate law enforcement agency guide to going mobile
Best practices for implementing a mobile device programFree download
The business value of Red Hat OpenShift
Platform cost savings, ROI, and the challenges and opportunities of Red Hat OpenShiftFree download
Managing security and risk across the IT supply chain: A practical approach
Best practices for IT supply chain securityFree download
Digital remote monitoring and dispatch services’ impact on edge computing and data centres
Seven trends redefining remote monitoring and field service dispatch service requirementsFree download